The expression ‘Japanese full’ got bandied around quite a bit back in our sharehouse days. That elusive 80% mark; genuine post-meal satisfaction, without feeling like a garden rotunda. We used it normally as a benchmark for knowing just how far over it we actually were—though we appreciated the modesty and lightness of ‘Japanese full’, we were also advocates of Liberace’s credo that too much of a good thing is woooonderfuuul!
With the sh.k Okonomiaki Japanese Pancake, you can have the best of both fullnesses. Keen on 80%? No probs, the dish’ll do it. Perhaps you care to sojourn into the jean-button-popping depths of ‘American’ full? When it comes to quantity, you decide, folks; tweak the cabbage content of this wild umami explosion ride of deliciousness at your own discretion. As well as being incredibly easy to make, it’s a delightfully forgiving, if not mouth watering, dish.
Who knew that the humble cabbage could bring so much joy?
- 4 Cups of cabbage, very finely sliced
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Spring onions, chopped
- 4 Mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 Cup of plain flour
- ⅔ Cup of chicken stock (or water)
- 8 Strips of bacon
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Kewpie Mayonnaise
- Okonomi Sauce (see notes)
- Nanami Togarashi
- Roasted sesame seeds
- Whisk flour, stock and eggs together in a good sized bowl, making a yellowish batter. Slice cabbage, spring onions and mushrooms and add to the mix.
- On a hot pan, heat some vegetable oil and spoon half the mix onto it in a circular pancake shape. Drape 4 strips of bacon on the top and cook for 3 mins. Then flip the pancake and cook the bacon side 4 mins. Flip again and cook the first side for another 3 mins.
- Serve pancake on a plate with liberal lashings of Kewpie, Okonomi*, roasted sesame and Nanami Togarashi on top, and if you like, some freshly chopped spring onion.
No Okonomi in the pantry? A good substitute can be made using tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce and sweet soy.
Also, FYI - this is just our take on the ingredients – okonomi means 'what you like' in Japanese, so feel free to get experimental!